Monday, May 19, 2008

In My Little Window

Generally speaking my musical tastes have in recent years been carefully wrapped up in tissue paper, packed in soft foam, gaffa taped into a little square ivory box and feed to a Leafy Sea Dragon for safe keeping. On this tiny little box written in bold letters are the names of these bands; Guttermouth, Pennywise, Millencolin, NOFX, Frenzal Rhomb, No Fun At All, Bad Religion, Blink 182, Lagwagon, Unwritten Law, Strung Out, AFI.. Just to name a few. Yes this is pretty much just a list of the skater punk bands which did the rounds on the late 1990's Punk scene, where life was all about being naked, drunk and pubic hair. Dealing with life’s little mishaps, and antidotes.. Generally structured around a scene, usually one of those sticky don’t look at me, embarrassing adolesce moments. It’s no wonder many of these songs featured on films such as American Pie and Road trip.

Traditionally speaking though, punk music was all about political outrage. Turning the term “politically correct” upside down, dumping it in a skip bin and then probably spitting on it. By no means did this stop during the late 90’s, but some bands did choose to deviate somewhat and this was the creation of the skater punk. I consider the early Blink 182 album’s the pinnacle of this sub-genre. Something I, and many mates couldn’t get enough of at the time.

Meanwhile in a bid to find that “New sound” bands started mixing different styles, and with all music, new electronic techniques where adopted. I think the first group to really understand and develop this was Korn back in 1992, in what is said to be the rebirth of Rock. Anyway, everything evolves and so did punk. When veteran band AFI released its new album December Underground; it was received with mixed feelings. The Skater Punk’s of old expected the same as years before and were shocked to hear and see this new style and Goth like appearance. While the younger crew ate it up like Vegemite on toast and begun growing the reverse mullet.

Clearly it was time to move on.. Those like me found this difficult to deal with, labelling it Emo and disregarded it as “Junk”. But it wasn’t long before more and more bands started popping up, growing with momentum as the new kids pushed to hear more. And the more they pushed the more they were given!!

This isn’t a bad thing it’s just different, like The Doors to Anti-Flag, it’s a constant evolution which needs to be recognized for its unique contrast and sounds. The bands at the forefront push there talents to the limits, finding a place where they will fit in this enormous music industry and I guess if it wasn’t for these guys we’d still be listening to Swing music! Remember the reception Elvis Presley got when he first appeared on the scene? Neither do I because I’m too young.. But he was almost an outlaw; breaking from the conservative restrains which strangled music direction. Remember The Clash, and The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Dead Kennedy..

The big question, will we get old and stuck in our own little ivory box with our favourite music collection like our parents have?

Currently listening to:

3 comments:

Kez said...

I love this post! Well written, my friend. I too have subscribed to pretty much the same "little ivory box" as you - as you would know :)
Lately I have noticed the change in direction and I have slowly adapted - reluctantly.
I realise now that I can't limit myself to genres and that good music is good music - whatever the era or the label.
I've realised in recent years (ie since I left high school) that I've got lazy and become stuck in a musical rut. An outdated one at that. I realise that I've changed and now my music tastes are reflecting that. I've been working hard at exposing myself to new music and seeing what else is out there.
Thanks for your insight.
:)

Juice said...

Thanks Kezza, I thought you might relate to this a bit. It was hard to keep this one short, could go on forever!

I find music so interesting these days.. Pretty much everything, from Creadance clearwater to the faint!

Though I still despise "war of the Worlds".. I'm not impressed okay, stop forcing it on me!!!!! ahaha personal joke!

Anonymous said...

Love the post, dude. Fortunately for my, I love music and can't get enough of it. I get bored pretty fast, so I am always searching for new music. Whether it's an old album of my parents or something recent and new.

But I totally feel yea about being stuck in this 'box'. I've got a few favorite bands that I can't get enough of.