Friday, May 9, 2008

Dechchair Cinema, a delightful find!

“All the drinking and stuff is good but I JUST WANNA GO back to WA” – This is the response I received from my house mate when I casually asked him over an email earlier this week whether he would be interesting in staying in darwin. For those that wouldn’t know, my house mate works in the Navy and has been posted in Darwin for approximately a year now. So understandably this place is getting pretty long in the tooth for him. What I find a shame is his perception of what Darwin has to offer. I mean when I arrived I though the drinking was fantastic, but not long after my house mate left (11 week trip to the South Pacific) I found myself without a drinking partner.

In a way, this left me with no other choice but to have a look around and see what else is out there. Something I feel he may not have done. Anyway last night, I ended up going for the usual stroll around Mindil Beach Markets, fantastic place with all sorts of tourist’s wondering around inspecting trinkets set out on an array of stalls. But it wasn’t the hot tourist’s that I was down there for, so I grabbed some food and a Prezzie for my Mum (Mothers Day) and headed off early before it insanely busy. Tonight I had plans. A few weeks ago I noticed a bulletin on the wall in my office. The Water Scout’s present; The Golden Compass @ the Deckchair Cinema’s. It had grabbed my attention, because I had walked past this place a couple of times wanted to check it out. Perfect opportunity. What I knew of the place, is that it’s set out in the opening like the old driving-in Cinema’s, but instead of having the discomfort of your car, they have some deck chairs set out in lines like a traditional cinema. The film itself didn’t seem all that interesting to be honest, but I figured I might as well support the Scout’s and earn some Boss points in the meantime given he, in actual fact was the one who posted the bulletin on the wall.

As luck would have it, Kym the Humanitarian was attending, so istead of having that really awkward I don’t know anyone feeling, I arranged to catch up with her there. This was a relief, I could just imagine what it would be like if I rocked up by myself!

The cinema is situated down near the harbours edge in a hollow just under parliament house. The complex is screened by a dense assortment of flora, which creates a cosy atmosphere once you’re inside, and the low level of lighting only adds to its composition. At the rear of the of the cinema is a small stall which serves a number of beverages including alcoholic refreshments (Handy!), and tonight the Scout’s have some stalls setup with heaps of home made delights including the good ol’ BBQ steak sanga. Kids are running around everywhere in an intense mode of excitement, as little kids do! It gives off some good vibes.

I find Kym and her family behind a stall serving dainty little cup cakes. “Would you like one” they politely offer. Rather not I gesture.. I’d been busy getting into the Lucky Cow down at the markets just earlier. For clarification, the lucky cow is little vegetarian stall that serves up some pretty good tucka. If you’re ever up here, there give it a go. Anyway back to the Cinema’s. I had arrived pretty much just as the movie was starting so we headed off to find our seats. Kym had thought ahead and had us a place in the third row and we sat down; a laid back reclining deck chair with a steal frame and cloth back. At first it felt a little uncomfortable as my eyes where pointing to the sky. Once again Kym came through with a pillow to soften things up, much to my delight.

As the film started, I began to feel at ease and sunk deep into the deckchair. Through the trees on my left I could see the dim lights of the port across the harbour. The orange tinge reflected off the still water in a non-invasive manner. At my feet I noticed a possum scurrying around looking for some food scraps, or maybe a cheeky swig at someone’s unsuspecting beer. And to my left high above the tree’s I could make out the lights of parliament house. Some sort of commotion could be softly heard over the cinema speakers. A few cheers, as presumably another bottle popped its cork.

You know, I’m not sure if in any other surrounding I would feel the same about this movie. Something about being in the bare open, with bugs and stuff flying around that made the film feel so surreal. You couldn’t help but actually feel like you were part of it, which made for a lot more excitement then I think a normal picture box could offer. I would have to conclude this was an absolutely extraordinary experience….

“all the drinking and stuff is good”.

Really?

1 comment:

Kez said...

Isn't it a great feeling when you discover new things that were right under your nose all along?
Good on you for mixing things up a bit :)