Thursday, May 8, 2008

Darwin Film Festival.. and ramblings



"Alby Mangels - he had a dream to just pack up and go; to see the world. Though his path was uncharted, his inspirational journey became a remarkable narrative of the incredible people he met and fantastic places he saw along the way. The amazing trek that followed allowed the enigmatic Australian traveller to use the world as a stage on his non-stop quest for adventure. A true World Safari! Browse the links below to learn more about this self-proclaimed adventurer, film-maker and conservationist. Discover for yourself why long ago Alby Mangels said: "Travel hasn't satisfied an appetite. It has created one!" What an awesome life!" - http://www.albymangels.com/

Last night I found myself sitting in a quite outdoor alfresco, located in the Nightcliff Mall, Darwin. With me is a gorgeous friend, who I met in a rather bizarre manner. Okay, maybe not that bizarre by my standards but.. nothing wrong with dangling your head out of a pub half tanked, and enquire should a girl walking past like to join you for a beverage, is there? Anyway, Kym the trainee humanitarian sends me a message some time during the day suggesting we get some takeaway and tag along to the Fist Full of Film, short film festival. http://fistfuloffilm.com/

At first I’m rather puzzled, given the population of around 80 000 that make Darwin, I think it would be a rather tough gig pulling enough heads together to make a festival out of it all. But alas I’m not to concerned and figure it should be a nice way to enjoy some culture.

We ordered some Madras lamb form the local Indian Restaurant and carry it over to the Groove Café seating area where the screening is to take place. It’s hard not to notice that the crowd are mainly a bunch of aspiring film makers, who probably make the whole Darwin film industry.. It’s a warm, friendly atmosphere and this probably makes up for the limited resources these guys work with. The evening was one of those balmy, warm nights that make Darwin dry season so famous.

As we settle in, the first few films are screened. And apologies are made. The first couple of films have horrific sound quality, and shocking plot’s which make an overstatement of the feature. But it’s integral to tonight’s screening as we the audience are taken on a journey through Darwin’s relatively short affiliation with film. The curator’s intention is show the past and present in a bid to validate the film maker’s fruition leading up to this year’s entry. They start with the non-digital VHS films that were made in 1999 which gives us reason for the terrible sound. Each year we are shown the Judges choice, along with people’s choice and are happily surprised to see some culturally rich film’s giving an influential sentiment to Darwin life as the night goes on.

One film, which stood out to me follows a homeless bloke as he collects rubbish and places it against the side of the road for collection. For a few years now he has made himself self sufficient taking nothing from the government including the lucrative dole, living off scraps he finds in the bins. He’s an interesting lovable character, who at times seems sightly unstable. But, as the audience learns he is filled with contentment and love for life. Day after day he works those who do not understand him, reassured in the love he finds in God.

Some time during the night I couldn’t help as most people would, feel that I to could enter such a competition. As though I, may have something creative and quirky that other people may wish to see. Or maybe, its just these few hardcore enthusiasts sitting around me. You know that feeling you get when you see a famous painting and think, far out, I could have produced something three times better then that if I tied my hand behind my back, gargled on ginger beer and shoved a tooth bush up my nose! Well unfortunately it’s never quite that easy is it!

So as I watched these films my mind started to wonder, much like those times when mum would take me to church. Conjuring up all sorts of idea’s for films, obviously I as the centre of attention. Maybe I got carried away in my dream, or maybe I haven’t had a reason to wake up just yet. But the idea struck me, and hasn’t left me sense.

The Adventures of Juice (Me) and his Monkey (Being Zac).. Travel the coast, eating and killing while they investigate every nook and cranny of Australia. (Obviously I picture us asking lovely ladies that we meet (refer above method) to join us on our epic adventures, to add that “ka-pow” to the feature film.) Well I can’t really claim this to be a “new” idea though, because if anyone knows anything, they would know Mr Alby Mongels has successfully made this film quite some time ago. And yeah already captured the hearts of many adorable lady’s, oh and fans of course.

But I ask, is it time, that once again two gallant adventures take heed to the publics hunger, and in a damned attempt try to bring back what they wish to see? I guess that doesn’t really matter, because I lazy, unskilled like a ninja and impatience.. so this may just remain as another on one of those Sunday morning dreams.

My phone beeps, it’s a message from Zac; I set a date as to when we gonna leave and you better be ready. 23rd Oct. Yeah boi.

Hmmm.. Guess we’re going, does anyone want to film?

NOTE: While many film makers take the soft edge (Conversationalist) approach like Mr Mangels, or even more recently Steve Irwin and David Attenborough. I feel that this would hinder our film as two young rough necks. Gun’s will be involved, animals will die!!!

1 comment:

Kez said...

Alby Mangels. What a hero.
So, you and Zac - the poor man's Burke and Wills, hey?
Jokes. If you got it filmed I would be at the premiere.
If you bought me a beer...kidding again...kind of...
Seriously, film it, get famous and then I can tell everyone what great mates we are ;)
Kind of kidding again...