Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Aye white fella, you got some change Part_2

The photo revealed a group of young men, dressing in nothing more then a modest loin cloth. I don’t think they were much concerned with clothing back then as the materialistic world is today. But what is most noticeable about this photo was the men’s build; a wiry type fitted out with a stiff set of abdominal muscles which would put some of our modern day athlete’s to shame. Now I’m no scientist but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t from the gym they were attending, or the protein whey extracts they were drinking. No, something tells me it may have been something to do with the lifestyle.

And as Ian explains on the Thursday night; the men and women of these tribes spent much of there time hunting and gathering seasonal fruit’s, nut’s, roots and an assortment of fish, turtles, birds, snakes, lizards, crocodiles and kangaroo’s. A diet which is proved to be extremely healthy and for those who can remember, a food group which would fit nicely in to the two lower half’s of the Healthy Diet Pyramid. . This was the contributing factor, to the life style which would ensure the men and women stayed lean and fit an aspect of life which in latter years would be lost as the need for hunting dissipated and was replaced with fatty meats and other modern foods.

By late on Saturday afternoon we were busy scaling large granite rocks, in search of some rare flowers which had been reported by two elderly naturalists to be in the vicinity a few weeks before hand. This was only weeks after a wild fire had burst through the area clearing all the long grass. The perfect time I’m told for wild flowers to sprig and do there thing. I, of course had no idea what I was looking for but still trudged along happily, enjoying the feeling of the rough stones grating the bottom of my tender feet raw. A decision to loose my trusty (now covered in mud) Dunlop volley’s in a bid to feel nature between my toes so to speak. The young boy scattered up the hill finding his footing momentarily as he bounded for the next rock. With a grin on Ian’s face, he explains that young boy; Goyma was in search for the tallest rock to do his best Lion King impersonation. Sometime around here in my discussion with Ian we brushed on the subject of the remaining traditionalist’s, and what the future might hold. A grim look of desperation came across his face, a saddened look which I knew the meaning of all to well. “Unfortunately teenagers are teenagers, preferring the new Nike clothes and hanging out at the Casuarina mall”.

It’s no hidden secret to the rest of the new Australian people what an epidemic cultural influence is having on the Native Australian’s. It’s on the news regularly enough, especially in the northern reaches of this country where it can’t be hidden form the public eye. I guess some would argue it’s a matter of there own personal choice, but I gather being uneducated in a lower social economic environment hasn’t helped there social behaviours flourish. Totally misunderstanding the capitalist world they now find themselves living in. I guess this is where Ian find’s his niche, meanwhile when the government are frolicking about with ideas (look how long it took to say sorry to the stolen generation) on what they can do, Ian does. You see, he spends much of his time working with different groups promoting the understanding of Aboriginal culture an natural wonder to a wide variety of audiences though different mediums. Eco tour’s, teaching in Californian universities, ABC documentaries and published books just to name a few. He is certainly a man with an intense purpose of life, with an eye for natural beauty.

What would make the biggest profound impact on me this weekend was to learn much of what the aboriginal people did is what I want to be! Too be rich without money, and to be satisfied without material excess. Sounds like I’m turning into a dirty rotten hippy by now, but I assure you I don’t stink to bad..

3 comments:

Rab said...

What an interesting time you must have had... I feel inspired to go walkabout too now!

BloodRedRoses said...

I like the part where you took off your shoes... I've always wanted to do that! Was it seriously painful?

Kez said...

You know what, if more people thought like you, this country would be a better place :)
Thanks for your thoughts, you hairy hippy!
xox