Monday, September 8, 2008

This Natural Beauty

It wasn’t the flower that drew me closer exactly, but rather a certain peacefulness which attracted my senses. Should I look up I would only be disappointed and frustrated with the Alcoa refinery just a few kilometre’s to the west.. But here, precariously perched upon the rock cliff the flower bloom’s its own wonderment. I clutch fearfully to the side of the rock appreciating it’s splendour, concentrating on my surroundings sure not to slip. The only sound is water fall in the background, falling onto bare granite below.



We were sitting around the small market table, another fine evening soaking up the pleasant temperature and ambiance of the scene. Lotus was sitting across from me with a cheerful but calculated expression on his face, when I abruptly ask:

“How do you feel about the destruction in Tasmania?”

He scanned the crowd mindfully sure not to miss another potential buyer, but also intending to grab a second to help formulate his answer. You see, he’s not the type that makes zealous uneducated claim’s to sound clever, nor would he agree with your opinion just to make you smile. Instead he takes his time to find the few words which express his own feelings. The answer is short, but his stories will be long for he knows his experience more meaningful then just a few lousy words.

I listen intently as he talks about the places he’s been, the things he’s seen and the feelings he’s felt.. He’s learnt, he informs me, to accept and LOVE what is, rather than live with lost hope and disappointment.

I keep this close in mind as I scurry across some more rock’s to examine another flower. I had noticed a sign on the drive in which read; “Under permission you may enter this land… Alcoa”. I look across the rugged untouched hills thinking to myself how lucky I am to see, feel and be part of this bush, this natural beauty.

No comments: