Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A beacon in the dark..



Dear Sir,

I would like to take this opportunity to express my interest as well with my girlfriend, in the Maatsuyker Island volunteer position recently advertised on your Parks site.

I am a 25 year old male, currently working as a Building Surveyor in Western Australia for Local Government. A position I’ve held on and off over the past 6 years. I have recently returned from a six month working holiday in the Northern Territory as a Building Technical Officer for the Department of Planning & Infrastructure. As for my girlfriend, she is currently operating in Vietnam as an English teacher through a GAP volunteer program, due back in late January.

After visiting Tasmania on a short stay in 2004, I was convinced I would be returning to explore the more remote areas of the wilderness in the future. And as such, will be travelling to Tasmania in early November to take part in a few self guided walks through the south west on established walking trails etc.

I have no official plans of returning to Western Australia and am open for this position should you find me a desirable applicant. I understand you will have processes and would be grateful if you could forward any further information regarding this position, as I believe this would be a great opportunity and experience.

Kind regards

Juice..

The advertisment..

The Parks and Wildlife Service is seeking self-sufficient volunteers able to withstand the buffeting Roaring Forties for a four or six month stint at Australia's southernmost lighthouse on Maatsuyker Island.

Parks and Wildlife Service general manager Peter Mooney said Maatsuyker, which is part of the Southwest National Park, was famous for its rugged setting 10 kilometres off the coast of Tasmania.

"Volunteers have been assisting the Parks and Wildlife Service in its management of the natural and cultural values of the island for a number of years and we are again seeking expressions of interest from people willing to undertake these duties during a four or six month placement on the island.

"The volunteers help to maintain the buildings and machinery on the remote island.

"Volunteers also work with the Bureau of Meteorology under a separate contract to carry out daily weather observations."

Mr Mooney said the volunteer caretaker program enabled people to contribute to the ongoing preservation of lighthouses and the islands on which they are located.

"Volunteer caretakers on Deal and Maatsuyker islands are very important in preserving the cultural heritage of the islands."

Mr Mooney said that people interested in the position should be aware that the weather on Maatsuyker was frequently cold, wet and windy, that the island had limited facilities and access was by helicopter only.



---------------------------------------------

Five Fun Facts, as stolen from wikipedia..

1. Maatsuyker Island is the southernmost island of the group and of the Australian continental shelf.

2. Maatsuyker Island, is approximately 2.6 kilometres long north/south at its longest on a bearing of 196°, by 1.2 kilometres wide east/west at its widest on a bearing of 105°

3. Reportedly, the first keepers of the light took chickens with them to Maatsuyker but the fowls blew away into the ocean.

4. Vegetables get blown flat by the wind, but surprisingly, can be grown successfully (Helpful if you are supposed to live on it!)

5. To add to the wind, there are an average of 249 rain days a year..

:)

8 comments:

Rab said...

Awesome letter! Got all mah fingers crossed for ya.

Some chickens blew off the island?! This made me laugh so hard I think I damaged a lung.

Mark Roy said...

Now this reminds me of Jack Kerouac going to work as a fire lookout on Desolation Peak in the early 50s, around his Dharma Bums period. This is a good thing, Dewse, i can see this really changing your blogging style:

"Rained today. Veges blew over."

"Today there was rain. We ate wilted spinach."

"Rain today. I saw a chicken, briefly, as it blew past the lighthouse window."

"More rain."

Good luck mate!

BloodRedRoses said...

This sounds like a totally wicked oppourtunity!

Is it bad that I would want to bring some chickens with me just to see if they actually would blow away into the ocean??

Hope it works out for ya!

sarah toa said...

You Must have this job. Do it. From someone who loves both light houses and chickens. Sarah

LJ said...

Wow that sounds like a crazy windy job!

Juice said...

Well that didn't go so well, today i recieved a reply confirming the 2009 position's had been filled but other opportunities are available should I want to look into them.. Seeing as I'm already there, I might as well :)

Mark Roy, I guess you have a point about the blogging material.. Or would it be more like;

"Clubbed baby seal, will report rating soon"

Bloodredroses.. Your back! Yes it would be fun just to see what happens.. could yuo imagine some chickens flying through the air but attached to the pen with a piece of sting ties to thier talon?

Sarahtoa, I'll send you the link they need some more people for 2010 ;)

LJ, It sounded exciting to me, but you might have a point about the wind. You should come see for yourself miss adventure!

Kez said...

Oh no. You didnt get the job???
Damn!
I was talking to my parents (i do that sometimes) and they said they reckon my aunty's twin bro did that once. They didn't know how it went though.
Anyway, he's the dude that helped invent/develop those orange dome-y tent things they use in Antarctica. Just thought I'd give you some useless trivia.
Oh and please email me those silly pics from the pub the other day!!!

McCabeandco said...

Yep, a place to feel the wild in your face - thanks for your words!